Saturday, December 3, 2011

Children's music these days...

This past week's religious service was a family service, which means there is a lot of singing and lower-level prayer aimed towards younger children. I'll save my utter disagreement with conducting services this way for another post - what I wanted to write about was part of a 'children's song' they sang. Here's the chorus:

And the seasons, they go 'round and 'round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captured on a carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind from where we came
And go 'round and 'round and 'round in the circle game


How terribly fatalist! I thought this was utterly depressing and anything but proper children's music. That middle line - 'captured on a carousel'. What kind of imagery does that convey? I suppose time inexorably marching on is one of life's great equalizers, but it doesn't make me any more joyful to hear about it.

Should be a Spinoza-themed post coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment