Thursday, January 5, 2012

A priori, synthetic knowledge?

I have finished Kant's Introduction to Logic and just started Kant's Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics. Well, by started I mean I am almost finished with the introduction. Haven't actually tapped any wisdom yet, but that'll come. I'm still ahead of my resolution, so that's good. 1 book, 0 weeks elapsed.

I am starting to become better acquainted with the terminology and discourse of metaphysics and epistemology. I have some hope for Kant, but not a whole lot. I like some of his formal logic theory but I disagree with his opinions on a priori knowledge and synthetic judgments in general. I should preface this by saying that I have not read much on the subject, and my views are of course still uninformed. With that being said, I find that I'm not sure a priori knowledge is even possible. A priori synthetic judgments are definitely impossible, as all synthetic judgments require experience, and even analytic judgments require knowledge of structure and language to define thought. It would be interesting to read what psychology has to say on the issue of what the blank human mind is capable of. Until then, I may just be a staunch empiricist. This would require a more careful reading of Locke and Hume, and perhaps to be fair I will read Leibniz as well. In any case, Kant has four books to argue his case for the middle ground between rationalism and empiricism.

No comments:

Post a Comment