Sunday, November 13, 2011

Back to Enlightenment

Began reading Spinoza today. I can already see why he was excommunicated and banned. I couldn't help but think as I read that so many years were wasted during the Enlightenment, not to mention the centuries before. Most of what I have read from that age is just one author trying to out-praise the others. And the only Enlightenment reading I do is established philosophy. If only 15 centuries weren't wasted between 300 and 1800. I have heard that the Library of Alexandria was rumored to contain a working steam engine. If only that knowledge hadn't been lost! I suppose this is an extension of my angst over so many valuable Stoic texts being lost through the ages. I weep for the Ubermensch we could have become if so much hadn't been lost.

On a brighter note, I re-engaged with Portuguese. I downloaded all the lessons I'm listening to right now to my iPod and can now play them on my way to and from work. Takes about 12 minutes to get through everything. 10 plays a week should definitely increase my familiarity with the difficult pronunciation. And as I increase my vocabulary (already up to 300 or so words) I think future lessons will come faster to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment