Saturday, October 15, 2011

Moderation is but Mediocrity

"They have become small and are becoming smaller - but that is due to their doctrine of happiness and virtue. For they are modest even in virtue - because they want comfort. But only a modest virtue is compatible with comfort." - Nietzsche


Murchie's book is not strictly philosophy. Not in the airy, ethics and logic sense. But philosophy used to also include metaphysics - the study of what things are. And that is this book in a nutshell. A broad overview, at least in the first two chapters, of life on Earth in all its forms. It's the type of book I could give to a child and say 'This is all you need to know about the natural sciences.' So while it may not be modern philosophy, it is valuable.

Portuguese is going well tambem. 200 known words so far, and I'm trying to spend a greater amount of time with listening and speaking than I did with Russian. Hopefully that will help gel my understanding as well as my motivation to continue studying it. I was unsuccessful in finding a good Portuguese equivalent of RIA Novosti's twitter feed - a simple 300 post per week newsfeed. The closest I found was oGlobo, but that was about 3000 posts per week. I'll have to find a substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment