Monday, July 11, 2011

First day of the rest of my life.

I was thinking, as I drove the 13 hours down to Charleston, SC, that I want to know everything.

Of course, everything doesn't mean everything. I don't care about train schedules or badminton scores. But just about everything else interests me. To the point where I feel disappointed with my education thus far, to varying degrees, when I encounter something I don't know. Languages are even more vexing; nothing makes me feel less educated than a language I don't understand.

Learning everything, however, is a daunting task. Where do I start? Should I troll Wikipedia, and hope that the knowledge congeals into a framework of understanding? Or should I buy an introductory book in every discipline? Unfortunately, my interest spans just about every subject, from history to science to cooking to philosophy to... well, you get the picture.

My efforts are currently, you could say, unguided. I spend 2-3 hours a day reading the news and various web feeds, like Scientific American for science, Marginal Revolution for economics, and Leftlane for automotive news. In time, I'm sure that will give me an excellent background. Already, I don't know many of my peers better versed in international affairs. But, it's not enough. My current read is Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. I enjoy it immensely. But I'm afraid that picking philosophical books spontaneously won't give me the generalist view I want.

Who knows where I will be in even a few days on my journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment